Logo

Welcome to Over and Over
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Celtic vs HJK

• You cannot reply to this topic

McGuire

Would you like some ice cream with your jelly?

is this game included in the season book?

Yup it is indeed.

Doonan

Celtic Supporter

Posted Image

This is the team I think we will field on the basis that Commons and Stokes don't make it.

dundalk celt

Celtic Regular

i would play wanyama, and samaras and hooper dont work well in a partership, if samaras plays would stick him on the left,

dundalk celt

Celtic Regular

the away leg is on premier sports havnt seen if anyone is showing the home game, pain in the arse, shite for people in ireland an uk that cant get to the game.

amcc

Celtic Regular

HJK fans are way too confident for their own good that they are going to beat us at home.

If you don't have a ticket yet, make sure you get one via the online booking office - you can print your own ticket! Adults £20 / Concession £10

Doonan

Celtic Supporter

i would play wanyama, and samaras and hooper dont work well in a partership, if samaras plays would stick him on the left,

Yeh I put him just behind Hooper, The once or twice i've seen him in there with Hooper just infront they looked fantastic. Remember the Rangers 3-0 game at CP?

Although I like Wanyama a lot, I just don't think we need a holding midfielder for this game. If we go 2 up id bring him on for Forrest and put Ledley out left and shut up shop. :)

marmarisbhoy

Celtic Legend

Shut-up shop ? ffs it's hell-stinki not Barcelona.

Doonan

Celtic Supporter

Shut-up shop ? ffs it's hell-stinki not Barcelona.

Ofcourse, wouldn't want to concede a late away goal if we're 2 up.

marmarisbhoy

Celtic Legend

Crucial we dont concede, agreed.

Kennys Dugleash

Celtic Legend

3-5-1-1

Attached File  formation.png   302.11KB   1 downloads

Subs:
Zaluska
K.Wilson
Twardzik
McCourt
Forrest
Watt

I would obviously have went with both Stokes and Commons to start but I feel risking these 2 with ankle ligament damage would be crazy.
3 at the back is fine at home against the weaker European sides and has proven a very good formation for us against stiff SPL competition ie Hearts (5-0) and Rangers* (3-0) last season as iut allows both Mathews and Izzy to attack the full backs and overlap the full 90.
Lustig is a natural RB and a decent CB and the same can be said for Muldini who is a natural LB but a very good CB,Rogne of course is a natural CB so I feel with Broonie big Vic and Joe bossing the middle of the park we have more than enough cover in Defensive situations as both Mathews and Izzy can track back to effectively make a 5 man defence?

Most sides come to CP with a lone frontman as they know their best chance of a goal is to hit us on the counter as we tend to dominate possession.

No need for 4 at the back in this scenario I feel.

Get on the front foot from the off and get Sammy on the ball as early as possible as he can definately supply H88per with the bullets as proved against Hearts so devistatingly at the end of last season.

I think we have more than enough to see us past this mob both home and away and a good high tempo start in front of a big Parkheed crowd should see us on our way.

If H88per get's one I predict another to follow.

marmarisbhoy

Celtic Legend

3 at the back ..........................hahahahaaa MADNESS and it'll never happen old pal.

Doonan

Celtic Supporter

Anyone know if Scott Brown is fully fit, and if he is why didn't he play a part against Norwich or Inter?

marmarisbhoy

Celtic Legend

That formation relies to heavily on the over lapping fullback and let`s be real here , when did the most important players on the pitch play at full back , they don`t..well maybe if your name is Roberto Carlos.

It certainly doesn`t lend itself too playing through the middle , it`s a formation that relies on Fullbacks getting in behind in wide areas to whip balls in too a target man.

It became what it still is , one dimensional.

It had it`s fifteen minutes of fame for a while , before been exposed for the over rated hype it was.

hubert

Celtic Regular

What I would like to see is more consistancy on a regular first team selection, of course barring injuries.
A solid defense to me has not arrived for seasons, hell many moaned about Caldwell and McManus back when and we still dont know who are or should be the regular centrebacks.
Midfield is still not established and many disagree with me about Brown, he is not my idea of an intelligent midfielder, and I am afraid never will be.
And in my opinion look at the shenanigans up front, whats that all about?
This game wednesday is a helluva challenge, in fact over both games, if we dont go through, THOSE running the club should bloodywell resign

Doonan

Celtic Supporter

The midfield is established, can you think of many games last season where our midfield was non existent? Perhaps Atletico Madrid away. We also get a lot of goals from midfield aswell.

Celtic NEED Scott Brown in this match especially when we're on the back foot. What is your idea of an intelligent midfielder?

In my opinion all we need is a top level center-half and a target man upfront, someone who's going to get on the end of crosses.

Celtic 2-0 HJK H
HJK 0-1 Celtic A

Kennys Dugleash

Celtic Legend

That formation relies to heavily on the over lapping fullback and let`s be real here , when did the most important players on the pitch play at full back , they don`t..well maybe if your name is Roberto Carlos.

It certainly doesn`t lend itself too playing through the middle , it`s a formation that relies on Fullbacks getting in behind in wide areas to whip balls in too a target man.

It became what it still is , one dimensional.

It had it`s fifteen minutes of fame for a while , before been exposed for the over rated hype it was.

And yet we pumped both Hearts 5-0 and Rangers 3-0 comfortably last season by employing it?
We have 2 very well equipped Wingbacks in Mathews and Izzy aswel as 2 Fullbacks in both Lustig and Muldini who are both comfortable (some might say better )in at CB?

Why play a flat back 4 when an oposition side comes with 1 up top and floods their midfield hoping to catch you on the break at home when we are in possession for the bulk of the game and are more comfortable going forward than we have ever been trying to keep sides out?

We went nigh on 3 years at home unbeaten in every competition playing this formation under O'Neil against much better sides than this Marm.
Granted we are not as good a side now but we do have to play to our own strengths to achieve anything at this level..

3 at the back is being employed by many teams across Europe again Marm for very good reason....it suits sides who have natural width and Fullbacks who relish going forward,Lennon ,Mjalby know this they played it to great effect and have been using it on and off for the past few months.

It's all about opinions pal and I feel and have felt since the Lenny revival this avenue should be looked at properly once again.

So does Lenny for that matter.

HH

ps If it's one dimensional your after try 4-4-2 the most overated sytem ever in Football?
England have been playing it for 4 decades and have still never won a World Cup or Euro Championship since 66.
Barca and spain have shown the way.....dominate the midfield and possession.

3 at the back 5 in the middle 6 if one of the frontmen (See Sammy) drops deep and hey presto they are on the back foot not us.

McGuire

Would you like some ice cream with your jelly?

I'm hoping Lennon is at this very moment studying video footage of HJK and looking at how they play their formations ( I'm sure he is ) whilst looking at our available players to see what he can come up with.

I understand where both Marm and KD are coming from re the back 4 / back 3 but really don't know enough about the opposition to guess which is better. Saying that, at home I'd prefer we play an attacking formation weighted in the mid to push to whomever we have up front, rather than a defensive back 4. At least for the first half or the majority of it.

This season it might feel like we have 2 different teams, one for SPL and the other for CPL, which is the right way to go in my humble opinion.

Kennys Dugleash

Celtic Legend

3 at the back ..........................hahahahaaa MADNESS and it'll never happen old pal.

Madness.................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlTK6K8LFlo&feature=related

More madness..........

I like madness far more exiting than predictability.... :big_boss:

Doonan

Celtic Supporter

3 at the back is a great formation, to say its one dimensional is ludicrous, it's probably the most dynamic formation in world football. I don't think its the right formation for this match tho I think Lenny will go for the 442 as the players will be more comfortable with it. I could be wrong tho.

kevza

Celtic Legend

the away leg is on premier sports havnt seen if anyone is showing the home game, pain in the arse, shite for people in ireland an uk that cant get to the game.

Cheers, should be decent streams for this...

Or maybe the pub :)