Logo

Welcome to Over and Over
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Champions League opponents at Friday's draw!

- - - - -

• You cannot reply to this topic

Davie Bhoy

Celtic Reserves Player

We're seeded on Friday, the unseeded teams we will face, one of these Maribor, Ironi Kiryat Shmona, Helsingborg, CFR Cluj and AEL Limassol.

None of those teams fill me with fear, I know it won't be a stroll in the park either but, their not exactly Barcelona are they?, so there are NO 'excuses' this year if we fail to make the group stage.

This is the year for us to bring back those amazing nights on a Tuesday and Wednesday, with the worlds eyes on our Team, stadium and fans, witnessing an Electric Atmosphere that only; we can create.

jjgcfc

Celtic Regular

We're seeded on Friday, the unseeded teams we will face, one of these -FC Cluj, Helsingborg, Dinamo Zagreb, Partizan Belgrade or AEL Limassol.

None of those teams fill me with fear, I know it won't be a stroll in the park either but, their not exactly Barcelona are they?, so there are NO 'excuses' this year if we fail to make the group stage.

This is the year for us to bring back those amazing nights on a Tuesday and Wednesday, with the worlds eyes on our Team, stadium and fans, witnessing an Electric Atmosphere that only; we can create.

cheer's for this , yer right, nobody to fear there, helsingborg would be good, is henke still manager there wee reunion :)

Gaffney

The Gaffer

No your wrong these are our potential opponents:
Maribor
Ironi Kiryat Shmona
Helsingborg
CFR Cluj

I don't want to get CFR Cluj, they have got some upsets in their history.

The_Bhoy_1981

Celtic Regular

well said davie. agree 100% with u. hh mate.

jjgcfc

Celtic Regular

Maribor
Ironi Kiryat Shmona
Helsingborg
CFR Cluj

and been good in champions league, beating barca i think.

Davie Bhoy

Celtic Reserves Player

cheer's for this , yer right, nobody to fear there, helsingborg would be good, is henke still manager there wee reunion :)

Nah he's left them mate, he would probably turn up though.

CELTICREBEL88

celtic legend

cant wait to see who we will play in the next round on Friday

Davie Bhoy

Celtic Reserves Player

Maribor
Ironi Kiryat Shmona
Helsingborg
CFR Cluj

Original post was correct(ish) mate Limasol are champions of their league and are winning their tie so are potential opponents of Celtic in the play off along with Maribor Ironi Helsingborg and Cluj
We avoid Anderlecht,Basle,BATE and Zagreb ( who I got wrong).

daydream77

CelticTalk Newbie

Hope we get Maribor as they humped the Rangers out of Europa qualifying last year. extra incentive to whoop them and show how shit the Rangers are.

CELTICREBEL88

celtic legend

hahahaha they would be very nice to play Maribor good call

Gazzola

Celtic Legend

as the opening thread states we shoukd be beating this level of team. our europa run last season showesd us where we are with this team and we are a good european outfit, Id say were are a good pot 3 team and we will improve as we often forget just how young our team is.

we are maybe 2 players short of progressing to last 16 and we know what positions need strengthened. rogne and mulgrew would do me for cb's but we do neesd decent cover and izzy to return to his poty form. we lack that big dominant and bullying striker which for me could be the final piece to the puzzle. but im not too unhappy with the squad we shifted deadwood an downsized considerably.

now we are guaranteed 5-6 mil from europa league will the board release some funds? that is the big question

kieran_kelly_cfc

CelticTalk Newbie

CFR Cluj are the highest ranked side that Celtic could be drawn against with the Roumanian champions winning home and away against Czech side Liberec to make it to the final qualifying round.

Swedish side Helsinborgs are another option and look to be in form after beating Slask Wroclaw 6-1 on aggregate including an impressive 3-0 win in Poland. Domestically Helsinborgs haven’t been so strong and are sitting in sixth place after 17 matches.

Maribor of Slovenia wouldn’t be overawed returning to Glasgow after dumping Rangers out of the Europa League last season but are relatively untested this season after enjoying a comfortable 5-1 aggregate win over F91 Dudelange from Luxemburg.

Israeli side Hapoel Kiryat Ahmona deserve respect after putting Zilina out in the second round then seeing off Neftci PFK of Azerbijan 6-2 on aggregate after winning the first leg 4-0 at home.

Cypriot side AEL Limassol will be looking to emulate APOEL who reached the last eight of the competition before losing out to Real Madrid. AEL beat Partizan Belgrade home and away to reach the fourth round having lost both of their previous European Cup ties back in 1968.

The draw for the fourth round will be made on Friday in Nyon starting at 11am Celtic Park time.

Gaffney

The Gaffer

Moved both threads to CelticTalk and merged them.

dundalk celt

Celtic Regular

none of these teams should overawe celtic, we have a great chance , got to be positive

Kennys Dugleash

Celtic Legend

We can beat all of these sides if we play to our full potential.
The away Hoodoo has been booted out the window so no excuses or media b/s on the run up to the next game?
If we do sell Ki (as I suspect we will) and possibly Wanyama(not beyond the realms of fiction btw) then I can see Lenny being allowed to add 2/3 quality additions to help us out in the next round with an eye on at least being competitive in the CL group stage and poss a tilt at the later Europa League stages which will not only be of great financial benefit but for the elevation of our Club to potential future signings in say the January sales and next summer.

There has been alot of debate about our lack of movement in this window so far but we have been busy....We secured our NO1 target in goals for 4 years and have managed to offload some major wages in the likes od Dan,Glenda,Rasmussen,Wilson and Cha.

The Board have played this right for me as they know domestically we have more than enough to secure the next 2/3 titles as things stand which of course meeans a chance to bring down the defecit whilst still securing a chance in Europe.

They will have said to Lenny we have backed you well up to know we have rebuilt near enough a full squad since Mowbray and you have a team littered with good young International talent which any SPL side would die for?
They would also have said we have done this with a manager with next to zero managerial experience who has under extremely harsh conditions delivered.

But they will have said you must at least reach the next round AND sell one of these talents to receive further spending for strengthening in those areas that are deficient or weak.

Lenny has achieved the first aim he has won both home and away in Europe against a tricky draw on a plastic pitch and a brutally pathetic official.

They will know we need a proven CB a solid no nonsense defender with a decent CV.
The need for a big man up front is staring them in the face Lenny knows it the fans know and they cannot escape it so the hunt will be on I reckon.
These types do not come cheap and they tend to be expensive to feed and water so the sale of KI at a reported 7/8 million might just be the green light he and they are waiting on.

Ki wont be interested in the SPL now he's a mega star in Asia and in the right League potentially a great player in the making but let's be honest he will get booted black and blue in Scotland if he stays any longer.

pepperami

Celtic Legend

Maribor
Ironi Kiryat Shmona
Helsingborg
CFR Cluj

who else can we get gaff?

colobhoy

Celtic Reserves Player

Don't have much of a preference on who we draw to be honest. If we cannot beat any of these teams, including Cluj, then we don't deserve to be in the group stages. We're by far the better team.

Come on Bhoys!

pepperami

Celtic Legend

Don't have much of a preference on who we draw to be honest. If we cannot beat any of these teams, including Cluj, then we don't deserve to be in the group stages. We're by far the better team.

Come on Bhoys!

dont fancy trips to isreal , slovenia, or the czech republic, seems like awkward away days especially isreal where its a potential war zone

mcdermott

Celtic Regular

Maribor
Ironi Kiryat Shmona
Helsingborg
CFR Cluj

High 5 totaly agree there

marmarisbhoy

Celtic Legend

dont fancy trips to isreal , slovenia, or the czech republic, seems like awkward away days especially isreal where its a potential war zone

Israel is one of the safest places for the tic to travel too, security is very tight and the movement of supporters is limited around the town.

(2009 was a magic journey for us guys and we never felt threatened)

Fingers arms and legs crossed for a small road trip up to Romania for the next journey in the CL, Transylvania here we come !!!!!!